more

By Mikayla Hinrichs - 2:33 PM

This fall has all kinds of new things in store for me: a new house with new roommates, a new role at the job I love, a new school year, a new relationship with my family (because I can see them in a moment's notice rather than have to get on a plane), a new opportunity to learn.

Don't get me wrong - I love new. I'm a "new"-addict. I'm the girl that gets bored easily, who becomes impatient with the process, and who is mentally living in the future most of the time, longing for what's next.

Change is good for me. It excites me. I gain new energy and passion in seasons of change.

Unfortunately, I am far too guilty of allowing the emotion of change to equate with forward motion. I ride out the changes, excited and full of anticipation of what the new season might bring, but I bring all of my bad habits with me. Eventually, I discover my habits produce the same results, no matter what soil they're planted in.

Last night, as I was unpacking my closet into my (new) room and listening to Pandora, this song with the most perfect lyrics came on:

Called Me Higher
"All Sons and Daughters"

I could just sit
I could just sit and wait for all Your goodness
Hope to feel Your presence
And I could just stay 
I could just stay right where I am and hope to feel You 
Hope to feel something again 

And I could hold on
I could hold on to who I am and never let You

Change me from the inside 

And I could be safe 
I could be safe here in Your arms and never leave home 
Never let these walls down 

But You have called me higher
You have called me deeper
And I'll go where You will lead me Lord 
You have called me higher 
You have called me deeper
And I'll go where You lead me Lord 
Where You lead me 
Where You lead me Lord 

I want this season to be about more. Rather than sit and wait and hope that this season of new circumstances will bring about forward motion, I want to do something about it.

The beautiful thing is, like the song states, God is asking me to do something more, something higher, deeper, and greater, but he's not asking me to figure it out alone. He's leading me.

You know that feeling you get when you know you're supposed to do something? It's that thing you think about when you're driving in your car alone with the radio off. It's that thing that someone else comments on in passing, and you immediately cringe on the inside. It's that thing that you are avoiding and putting off until tomorrow, and then tomorrow never comes.

I think that thing is God's gentle way of nudging us. Lucky us, we serve an endlessly patient God. He knows it sometimes takes us a while to finally come to the point where we say yes to whatever he has for us. The important thing is that we do it, no matter how long it takes to have the courage to get there.

This fall, I choose to be who I say that I am. I choose to follow through. I choose to take action on that one thing that God is leading me to. I hope that you'll join me. Let's be the kind of people who reject passivity and allow God to change us a little every day by putting action behind our words.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments